Monday, June 21, 2010

......The Big Produce Answer is...........

$18.15
Yup that is it. All this produce cost a whopping $18.15 Can you believe it? The answer is

Produce Terminal !!! Click on the link to find one in your state.
You can also Google search your town, produce terminal and find a farmers market terminal near you. These are different then the typical farmers market. This is where the fruits and veggies are shipped off to the stores.

We had so much fun here. You go to the actual terminals where all the produce exchanges happen. I live in South Texas so speaking Spanish would have really come in handy. I speak very little and I did my best to hang in there. We had so much fun going from area to area. The produce terminal we visited had a farmers market area for folks to set up their produce to purchase.


Look at it all is it not just so pretty? We found some very unusual things there.


Some I have never heard of or seen before. Like this Louisiana Cucuzza Squash. It is so big! It is about 3 feet long. I took a picture with my daughter holding one up but it is sideways and I cannot rotate it for you.

And this furry thing, I did ask the name but of course I cannot remember! Sorry!

This is a great way to stock up on produce items for your family. If you plan on preserving some foods then, this beats any grocery store price ever.
Here are some of the prices I paid:
Pineapple $1.00 each
Head of lettuce .20c
4.5 pounds of bananas $2.00
Watermelon $1.00
The prices were unbelievable. I am sure I bought way more of some things than I needed, but we feel it was and is worth it. I hope you can try them and have great success too!
Just Stocking Produce~Melissa

8 comments:

  1. Wow, $18.15, that is amazing!!! I wish they had a produce terminal in UT. I love to try new things. I want to try one of those furry things ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. COOL! Thanks you so much for sharing this info. I am going to visit my terminal and will do a post on it. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regina there are a ton of them in Utah. Try google. Produce terminals Utah and it pulls up everything. Thanks for the posts.
    Barbara I would love to see where you end up. Let me know.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool! I am definitely going to have to look into it. I am so excited that harvest season is starting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog through Texas Blogging Gals. Love your blog. And this produce deal is AMAZING. The one for Houston did not come up though, : (

    Stop by my blog anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And there's actually one sort of close to me! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leigh- I think most people are SHOCKED by this amazing non secret of mine.
    Good luck please let me know how it goes for you.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you SO much for this info. I'll try it out once this freezing weather clears up.

    The Houston link was broken (because the main site miscoded it). Here's the link:
    http://www.terminalmarkets.com/houston.htm

    If any other cities links are broken, strip out the middle parts of the link, so that only the city name . htm come after the main site address.

    ReplyDelete