Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I Have Been Canning Like Crazy!

Canning can be and for me is a year round adventure, this week I have canned a ton. Just try to stick through these two long list!
6 pints apple sauce
1 pint apple juice
5 pints pear sauce
3 pints of pineapple in syrup
8 pints of pickled pineapple
4 pints pickled veggies
16 quarts of goulash soup base.
(Really it can be used with several recipe, casseroles, and such.)

I am wondering because this blog is about family and canning if you want or if I should put up more of my recipes.

Here is what is left to can as of today 11-2-2010

I have 400 pounds of pumpkin to can maybe more
the seeds to dry and store
a bushel of apples
bushel of grapefruit, bushel tangerine tangelo's
5 pounds of plums, 3 watermelon
2 cantaloupe, 25 tomatoes
tons, tons, tons of lettuce. can't do much here
bell peppers, about 15 of them
15 pounds of misc, lemons, limes etc. I almost failed to mention the 110 pounds of various potatoes. How could I forget, they are everywhere!

This is my sweet DD8 gleaning pecans last fall. Was actually a cold day for Southern Texas.
My oldest of the three girls DD12 we a friend shucking the pecans. We paid to have them cracked.
Let's face it! I am canning crazy! This does not include that fact that the food will keep coming. My orange tree dropped about 6 oranges in the storm last night. You know what that means. Plus, the tangerine trees are full and starting to be ready for picking. Last year we picked on Nov 4Th so time is ticking on the tangerines. 15 trees worth!!! Did I mention the pecans and acorns? Yes I did in an earlier post. Was actually a cold day for Southern Texas.
My sweet #4 doing the washing of the tangerines.
Some of the fresh fruit defiantly gets eaten, but when you have so much of it you have to preserve it. Canning , dehydrating, freezing all important ways to prolong the fruits and veggies until a later date. For now I am just trying to keep my head about the canning baths, jars, and all canning gear needed. But, I must say I love it! It is therapy! It is food, It is preparedness. It is worth it. Any other crazy canners out there?

Just canning, as always~Melissa

12 comments:

  1. What do you do with the acorns?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been canning soups and chili!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I collect the acorns (only the perfect ones) no cracks, holes, or softness.They are for the chickens. I take a handful at a time and whack them with a hammer and chuck them out with the feed. They eat the nut meats.
    I think I talked about this a few posts ago, if you want to look up the comments on it too. Thanks for the question.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine trying to keep up with that much stuff. Sheesh! I couldn't do it. But I guess to me canning is work, not therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you grow all that? I wish we could grow citrus trees in the ground here, siggh we cannot. Well we can grow Kumquat trees in the ground here, I recently learned! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heavens to Betsy! NO I do not grow all that. Well, growing up my dad did and still does. I do have some fruit trees. Are you not just like 2 hours North of me. We can grow almost everything here. Some stone fruits are harder so you have to pick the right variety. I will shoot a photo of my orange tree. The oranges are turning orange and I am not ready. I have other stuff to take care of.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Chickie, You look mighty busy. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That really is so crazy, but so awesome!!! Good luck! Glad you are getting the kiddos in on the action! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love canning/preserving recipes! Always looking and always willing to try! You sound like one busy lady right now! Our season is over and the only thing I have left is the sweet potatoes. Just wish I could get myself the gumption to do it! That is great that your kids help out and learn also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a canning fool too but not like you. Good for you! I can whatever I can get my hands on which is limited by our short growing season. Lots of new and interesting things this year. my favorite has been the pepper jelly which I've never made before and I love and also the carrot pudding. Question: I'm wondering about the pumpkin seeds you are drying. Tell me what the advantage is of drying and how you do it pleas. Thanks
    -Pam preparedness365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you really are canning like crazy. And such wonderful things! It never occurred to me to pay to have our pecans cracked. I need to find someone to do that around here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I'll raise my hand and say I'm a crazy canner. I still have apples that need turned into applesauce and apple cider. Then I'm done until turkey stock time, then it's time to start seeds... Sigh. I live in a cold climate, so we potentially have a respite/resting period. :)

    ReplyDelete